This November marks the 97th anniversary of the November 14, 1917 “Night of Terror” at the Occoquan Workhouse in Lorton, Virginia. To mark this important date, the Turning Point Suffragist Memorial Association (TPSMA) is calling on universities and student groups across the country to join us in remembering the events of this night by taking action to raise awareness about the women’s suffrage movement and raise funds to help build the planned Turning Point Suffragist Memorial.
On November 1st – 15th, students on college campuses nationwide are invited to take part in TPSMA’s online awareness-raising campaign, and organize other on-campus activities. Continue reading for more information about upcoming events and what you can do to help build the suffragist memorial!
1) FUNDRAISER — Organize a fundraiser for the suffragist memorial!
TPSMA must meet fundraising goals before work begins on the planned memorial. You can help by organizing a fundraising event, either online via the TPSM Razoo account (create a new fundraiser under “Fundraise for this Cause”), or on-campus (checks may be made out to “Turning Point Suffragist Memorial” or “TPSMA” and mailed to 5400 Ox Road, Fairfax Station, Virginia 22039).
This is an opportunity to get creative! There is no limit to the number of possible fundraisers! To get started, consider these examples:
1) Host a happy hour or pub trivia night.
2) Organize a battle of the bands (Rock out for Suffrage!) competition, or theme party.
3) Hold a campus “Night of Terror” poster competition.
4) Fill the Boot (suffrage edition) at the university student center, a local shopping district, or before a football game.
5) Recruit volunteers for a Jail and Bail Fundraiser.
2) RAISE AWARENESS — Plan activities to raise awareness about women’s suffrage and the Night of Terror.
Examples of awareness-raising activities and events include:
1) Host an Iron Jawed Angels viewing party.
2) Plan a suffrage hike.
3) Encourage students to change their Facebook profile pictures to the “jail bar” Night of Terror image (available under the Resources tab).
4) Order our specialty t-shirts through CustomInk (this is a fundraiser website: by ordering, you get the t-shirt and we raise $$$).
3) KEEP US POSTED — We want to know all about your events and activities.
We would love to hear from you, and share your photos and other news on our social media sites. There are several ways you can keep us in the loop on your activities!
1) Twitter – Follow us @TPSM2020, and use #NightofTerror.
2) Facebook — “Like” our page, and send us your photos!
3) Instagram — Join our Instagram campaign: post a video telling the world “what voting rights mean to you” (Don’t forget to post to Facebook and Twitter with #NightOfTerror
4) WordPress — Write blog entries leading up to, and following, your Night of Terror activities, and we will publish them here!